Tin ceiling goes up in the Gordon's kitchen
Click on the individual pictures to see larger photo and description


CeilingLines.JPG (54493 bytes) Because the nails holding up the tin ceiling need to anchor into something, the drywall (already finished with three coats of mud and primed) have to be covered with 1/4" plywood. A number of lines are chalked on the ceiling to allow John and Zack to hang the plywood straight.
PlywoodUp1.JPG (74316 bytes) The first piece of plywood is up. Zack checks to see how straight it is.
MappingCeiling1.JPG (102246 bytes) In order to make sure Beverly ordered enough pieces of the ceiling tin (especially since we're mixing new and old tin ceiling pieces), we lay the tiles on the floor.
mappingceiling2.jpg (141074 bytes) The mockup of the tin ceiling grows.
mappingceiling3.jpg (108303 bytes) Beverly checks to see how it looks with the tin spacer strip.
sprinkler.jpg (63207 bytes) After the plywood is on the ceiling, we gridded out the initial set of chalk lines for the center 4x4 (8'x8') tin.
plywoodlines.jpg (62305 bytes) Watch the sprinkler head! 
tinup.jpg (77073 bytes) The tin ceiling is up!
tinup2.jpg (108854 bytes) Zack nails up more ceiling.
tinup3.jpg (236273 bytes) Here we're fitting the tin closely around the ceiling light box. (Tin snips were provided by David Webb of the Lost Highway Museum. Thanks, David.)
bumper1.jpg (90045 bytes) Here's the moulding that covers the "gap" between the new 2x2 tin pieces and the old original 2x4 tin that we salvaged from the ceiling of the old building.
bumper2.jpg (83946 bytes) This piece of 1/2" plywood was cut to the right width ...
bumper3.jpg (87313 bytes) to fit into the raised channel of the moulding...
bumberboard.jpg (86564 bytes) then we screwed the "bumber boards" up right next to the new 2x2' panels and butted the old ceiling tin to the board.
speaker.jpg (79297 bytes) Speakers (mesh covering and speaker trim to be painted later.
bumperdown.jpg (81598 bytes) We took the bumper boards down...
nailingtrimmoulding.jpg (102704 bytes) ... and nailed up the moulding to cover the gap.
soffitcovering.jpg (86967 bytes) The faces of the soffits were covered with tin.
morenailing.jpg (113848 bytes) We nailed. . .
johnnailing.jpg (156137 bytes) ... and nailed.
cuttingnosling.jpg (94198 bytes) Beverly is cutting the "nosling" that covers the lip of the skylight shaft.

Crown Moulding

crown1.jpg (127877 bytes) John and Beverly decided to do the "hard part" of the crown moulding first. corners!
crown2.jpg (145801 bytes) Here is the top of Beverly's oven hood. Remember not to nail into the bricks!
crown3.jpg (95563 bytes) It's a stretch, but Beverly is drawing the lines to use in making sure the crown moulding is up straight. 
crown4.jpg (70080 bytes) Talk about itty, bitty corner pieces.
crown5.jpg (113033 bytes) Ok, so just how many degrees is this corner?
coping.jpg (41715 bytes) I trying to cope with this coping stuff.
lastspace.jpg (107786 bytes) The Last blank spot for Crown Moulding.
cuttinglast.jpg (82334 bytes) She's cutting the last piece.
andup.jpg (128972 bytes) And it's done!
skylighttin.jpg (73749 bytes) A view of the skylight shaft
happy.jpg (74856 bytes) One happy camper!
gary-cabs.jpg (85448 bytes) Gary Kazda installing the counter top.
kitchencabs1.jpg (84553 bytes) Wow, what a fan enclosure!
kitchencabs2.jpg (32519 bytes) Another view of kitchen and cabinets.
These pages are updated on an infrequent basis as  John has to fit them in with all the other fun stuff he does. If you would like to receive an e-mail notice when we add stuff, just click here to send a request.

We purchased our new tin ceiling material from Brian Greer's Tin Ceilings. He worked with us on selecting the new tin we'd need, was great on shipping it to us, and even better on follow-up questions as we worked our way through the project. One hint: Make sure you ask for the cutting templates before you start. The old tin ceiling referred to above was salvaged from the 1880's portion of our building; the layers of paint were stripped off; they were protected from rust, and primed, installed and painted.

The cabinets are DeWils Cabinets that were purchased from and installed by Gary Kazda at All Your Building Needs in Pomeroy.


Return to menu of Revere Renovation