Historic District Downtown Building Inventory

Historic downtown Pomeroy, Richardson Building, photo from 2021

The Richardson Building, Spring, 2021

The Richardson Building (Site ID 12)

Sassy Spur: 753 Main Street

WSU Extension: 757 Main Street

Classification: Historic Contributing

According to the 1896 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, a 20'x35' wooden tailor shop was on this lot prior to the construction of the current brick building circa 1904. E. Richardson had a second hand store in the building until 1912 when the business was sold to George F. Cluck. By 1922, the structure housed Sparkman's Barber Shop in the west half and Herbert Kuykendall's Tire Shop in the east half, and by 1930, a store was in the west half and Berringer Shoe Shop in the east. From the mid-to-late 1930s to the 1980s, the east half of the building was used as an insurance office. Some of the agents over the years included Chet and Bert Obenland, Ray Munn, and Lows. A 1916 assessor's book indicates a drinking fountain was in front of this building.

The western part of this building was home to the Woodland Beauty Salon for a long time. After the owner retired, the building was remodeled and the Sassy Spur Barber opened here.

In 1996, JD and Susy brown opened the "Valentine Ridge Sub Shop" in the eastern storefont of this building. Eva Webb opened the Lost Highway Cafe there in February, 1998. Later a coffee shop was there. Following closure of the coffee shop, the WSU Extension Office relocated from the courthouse to this building.

This one-story brick building has a raised parapet covered with a pressed metal cornice and a spandrel decorated with swags, florets, semi-circles, and an egg and dart pattern. Brick pilasters flank the two storefront bays that are separated by a raised pilaster. The storefronts have been altered by enclosing the transoms and bulkheads with Roman brick

Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates

G. F. Cluck

A view of Cluck's 2nd Hand Store, Pomeroy WA, from the early 1900s

Yes, George Cluck sold a lot of things.

Woodland Beauty Salon

(west side of building)

From a July, 1975, E-W

BEAUTICIAN -- Coni Baker started work this week at Woodland beauty salon, Lenora Ldgerwood, owner, announces. Mrs. Baker, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Wolf, has attended the Len's Fashionette in Moses Lake and Mr. Nick's Beauty School in Lewiston.

Valentine Ridge Sub Shop

(east half of building)

Lost Highway Cafe

(east half of building)

Wandering Pomeroy's Main Street


Area Traffic Cameras
Alpowa Summit
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts


This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.

The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347


Copyright © 2002-2022 John R. Gordon