Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
The Campbell-Gerhardt Building (Site ID 10)
The 30'x60' structure was the first brick building completed after the 1900 fire that destroyed downtown Pomeroy. Constructed by Peter Gerhardt and G.L. Campbell, the west storefront was occupied by Gerhardt's barbershop, and the east half by Campbell real estate and Dickson & Start insurance offices. Upon completion, the barbershop was described in the local paper as "well furnished with up-to-date fixtures and other first-class equipment" (East Washingtonian, 13 October 1900). The article continues and states, "there are to be bath rooms with porcelain tubs, nicely arranged for the best dass of trade. His razors are always kept disinfected, making it impossible for a patron to become exposed to contagion." Peter Gerhardt, bom in Germany in 1853, immigrated to the United States and began his career as a barber in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada's. In 1880, he moved to Dayton, Washington, and then in 1882, relocated to Pomeroy.
An ad in a circa 1909 paper advertised Gerhardt's, "O.K. Barber Shop and Bath Room: Baths everyday in the year. Four chairs working continuous. Electric vibrator for massage purpose. Peter Gerhardt, D.E. Barquist, Teddy Perry, C.W. Simonson." Gerhardt's barbershop and bathhouse was a gathering place on Saturdays when ranchers and farmers came to town shave and bath, shop, and relax.
As of the District's nomination, Victorian Rose and Collectibles occupied the Campbell-Gerhardt building and the Christopherson/PO Building to the east. The western section of the Cambell-Gerhardt building was the state liquor store and the eastern portion (along with the Christopherson/PO building) was a flower and gift shop. The owner retired in 201# and closed the business.
The Campbell-Gerhardt building is a one-story, rectangular brick building and has a sloped roof with a high brick parapet decorated with three recessed brick panels. The recessed central entrance has a single light door with wood surrounds and is flanked by newer fixed-pane storefront windows with a Roman brick bulkhead below. Originally, this building had a high peaked parapet; this section of the parapet was removed because of deterioration. Other alterations to the building include the addition of a wood shingle shed awning and covering the transoms with diagonal boarding. A portion of the wall separating this building from the building to the east was taken out and the two buildings were one large flower/gift shop.
During the late 2010's, the "Buckaroo Revival" awning was replaced with an equally non-historic metal awning.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Summer of 1936 and Vernon Robinson sold Insurance there
Victorian Rose, the last occupant of this building had this in the December, 1999, Christmas-time issue of the East Washingtonian.
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon