Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
Gammon Block (Site ID 43)
Historic Non-Contributing Site
730-736 Main Street
The majority of the building was destroyed in an October 1978 fire; only the brick storefront surrounds and the parapet survived the fire.
William Gammon constructed the brick building to house Adams Grocery and Stephens Jewelry store in 1901 after the 1900 Pomeroy fire (East Washingtonian, 2 March 2, 1902). A dentist’s office was located in the back of the building for Dr. Barnes. Other owners of the jewelry store were the Cohrs who sold the business circa 1909 to the Christophersons. The family owned the businesses until 1975 when it was sold to the Bartels.
The storefront occupied by the grocery belonged to Harris A. Adams. He purchased the grocery in the late 1880s from the Allen family who started a store in Pomeroy about 1889. The grocery was destroyed in the 1900 fire, but Adams rebuilt the business in the new Gammon Building. Adams died in 1917. His son, Harry Adams purchased the store and reincorporated the business with a friend, Frank Burch. The new store was known as Burch-Adams Grocery. Adams died in 1951. Other occupants of the building have included Obenlands, Crystal and Webbs cafes, Bowen’s Shoe Store, and Darrel’s T.V.
The lot now is the home of the Downtown Pomeroy Park with picnic benches, a monument to the military veterans from Pomeroy, and traveler's rest rooms.
Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Bowen's Shoe Service, Otober, 1970, advertisement
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon