Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
Christensen Machine/Dixon Garage (Site ID 27)
Constructed circa 1905, the 60'x50' structure housed a blacksmith's and wagon maker shop. The building had a 35'x70' wood workshop addition attached to the rear elevation. By 1930, the concrete structure had expanded to 60'x120' with machine and wood working shops in the east half and a garage in the west half. The building was occupied by Christensen's Machine Shop and Dixon's Garage (Clayton). Chris Christensen, a native of Denmark, settled in Pomeroy to work as a blacksmith and machinist in the shop of George Davis. The same year, Christensen purchased the business with partner J.A. Craig. Circa 1915, Christensen purchased the entire business, and ran the business until circa 1937 when he sold the shop to his son, Bert, and J.R. Denison. Chris Christensen died in 1940 and the shop continued under the name Christensen-Denison Machine Shop for years
Fruh's Repair Shop currently occupies the building.
Description and Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian
Come to the Picnic in Mayview!
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon