Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
American Legion Post #38 (Site ID 26)
By 1922, the current 20'x60' structure housed the G.F.G., and by 1930, the American Legion Hall. The Pomeroy American Legion Post #38 was organized circa 1920. The American Legion added a concrete block addition to the back of the building and excavated a basement for use as a hall in 1948-49.
At the time the District was nominated, an antique store occupied the building. In about 2009, the antique store moved to the A.D. Fox & Son Building. This building is currently occupiede as a residence.
The one-story brick and concrete block building has a raised parapet covered with stucco. Void of decorative detail, the building has been modified by covering the pilasters and original window openings with vertical boards, and placing seamed metal awnings over the openings. The original transom windows and recessed entrance doors are intact.
Description and Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Come to the Picnic in Mayview!
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon