Pomeroy Washington Downtown National Historic District
Current (2021) address: 745 Main Street
1953 address: 932 Main
Classification: Historic Contributing
Henry B. and Delia Henley constructed the hotel around 1910-11. The hotel had rooms on the upper floor, and a restaurant, office, and lobby on the lower floor. The Henleys' son, Frank, took over management of the hotel in the late 1920s, and his children operated the business in the 1940s and 1950s. At the time of the Nomination, the main floor of the hotel was currently used as a restaurant and bar with the owners occupying the second floor. As of this writing, the restaurant space on the main floor is vacant.
Building Description: The Pomeroy Hotel is a two-story building with a brick parapet decorated with a corbeled cornice, one-over one double-hung wood sash windows on the upper story, fixed-pane wooden storefront windows, and a concrete foundation. Pilasters on the rusticated lower story separate the storefront and entrance bays. Double wooden doors on the east side of the front elevation lead to the second floor apartments. The main entrance is sheltered with a pedimented portico supported by tapered posts (built circa 1925). The original multi-pane transom windows above the storefront have been covered; only the multi-pane transom windows above the main entrance doors are intact. Two of the original storefront entrances (second and fourth bays from the west) have been removed and replaced with windows.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
OK, this isn't the same Pomeroy Hotel as pictured above.
This the same photo I used for the top of the Stevenson Hardware building, but it's a nice 1908 shot of the Pomeroy Hotel with no portico.
East Washingtonian advettisement from May of 1919.
Even 100 years ago, the movie industry had "tie-ins." Everywoman was a popular movie released in December, 1919. It came to Pomeroy and the Seeley Theatre in January, 1921.
(sorry about the condition (or lack thereof) of the right side).
A Spokane CPA advertising his services from the Pomroy Hotel in February 1921.
The Henleys were sure proud of their food in 1926.
Advertisements in the 1934 Treasure Chest .weren't very fancy.
This was their standard advertisement in 1936, running in almost every issue of the E-W.
From the early summer of 1936: "New Night Stage is for Public Convenience"
Frank Henley spiced up the advertisements with that nifty logo.
Elmer Stone's just poured a cold Bud for a customer in the Pomeroy Hotel basement bar.
Oops. Who set the type for this ad?
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon